Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Does he really care?

Birthdays are so much fun! I celebrate mine as long as possible. This year I hit a milestone birthday, and I’m still celebrating! I teach my kids to do the same, after all, no one should have only one day, it should extend at least a month, or longer!

Today is my dad’s birthday. He would have turned 83 today. We said our goodbyes nearly 11 months ago. It makes sense the first year would be the hardest, getting through all the holidays and special occasions for the first time. Had I known last year it would be our final time celebrating his birthday I think I would have done things differently. I would have pulled out all stops to celebrate his last birthday with us. My dad was a guy who had all of what he wanted, so gift giving was tough. My last birthday gift to him was a neck pillow for him to use on an airplane…I know really lame, but he liked mine and wanted one! Certainly knowing now what I know I would have gone for a better gift, the sky would have been the limit. I’m thankful I was able to take him out for our weekly cup of coffee and muffin. I DID treat him on his birthday!

Last May after my dad passed away, I started to have a lot of questions about heaven; I needed to know what my dad was doing. It was hard for me to believe he wouldn’t be sad up there (or wherever heaven is) without my mom. He adored her. I couldn’t imagine him being happy without her, or not worrying if she was o.k. In the Bible, Genesis 1:1 it says “In the beginning, God created the heavens and earth.” But where is heaven and what do you do there? It must be crowded! So many questions flooded my little mind as I started to grieve the loss of my father. I believed heaven will be wonderful, but still…..“No one has ever seen this. No one has ever heard about it. No one has ever imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9. So, God is telling us we can’t imagine how wonderful it will be. We cannot fathom what it would be like to be around God all day long! Oh, and no aches or pains, no suffering, no hunger, no wars….not even a disagreement! No more conflict resolution! I hope there are tennis courts there!

Could it be so wonderful that my dad doesn’t care that it’s his birthday? Today as I read my Bible and prayed I felt silly but asked God if at all possible to tell my dad I said hi, Happy Birthday, and I love him. In my heart I don’t believe my dad cares, I believe he is in such constant awe of where he is, there is no time to think or be concerned about us or his birthday. I don’t take offense to that (maybe jealous), I’m happy for my dad. Sad for us…..happy for him.

In the Bible, the apostle Paul tells us, “The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald, the fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst. The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass.” Revelation 21:19-21

WOW! Seems like we would definitely need our Maui Jim sunglasses in heaven!

“Death is……deliverance to life beyond your imagining.” Joseph Bayly

“Heaven is so peaceful that the storms of earth are there unknown, the stirrings of the flesh are never felt, and the howlings of the dog of hell are never heard. There all is peace and purity, perfection and security forever.” Charles Spurgeon

Happy Birthday Dr. William Doyle!! – I had to say it anyway!! We will celebrate as a family eating all of dad’s favorite foods! Thank you Karen for sending dad’s favorite pies, we will miss you there, and Glenn we will miss you too! Love you!

By His grace,

Debbie

1 comment:

Stevo said...

Wow, I am just in awe at Gods goodness. Some day when we go to be with him the fellowship and joy will be mind blowing. My heart is with all of the family and I love you and support you in these times.
Happy Birthday DAD!!