Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hermosa Beach 2011


Life can seem overwhelming at times. No matter how I try to simplify my life, having three kids (11, 10, and 8) keeps me continually hopping. If I’m not making doctor or haircut appointments, I’m running them to their favorite activity or doing homework. Being married to a man who owns his own business and deals with daily challenges forces me to be independent and a “Can Do” kind of gal. While the kids are at school I struggle keeping up with the big house we live in and the relentless laundry that won’t go away!!

A special morning or afternoon for me is spending time with a girlfriend. My social life is so limited but I love the fellowship of just sitting and talking (or listening) with a friend. As I look around me I am blessed to know and have so many special women in my life. My frustration is keeping up with all the girls I love. Sometimes I wish I could gather them all together and spend a weekend with them all.

Every January I do just that…I take time out of my busy life and head west to Hermosa Beach in Southern California to spend time with girlfriends. This is my one weekend a year I take time out for me……soaking in the sunshine, walking the strand, drinking lots of coffee, eating breakfast at Martha’s, and of course solving al the worlds’ problems like only us girls know how to do!

This year I headed out with a heavy heart…for many reasons……yet after 24 hours of being with women I have known for years and who love me unconditionally, I could feel the layers of pain start to peel off. Long talks with wise women who are walking in my shoes was medicinal.

We all need to feel validated in life. There’s nothing like talking to someone who is walking a similar journey. We girls are all in different places in life, but we have one thing in common…we are pressing on, toward a higher calling..Slowly but surely…accepting the love of Christ in our hearts. Trusting in Him, and in all our ways acknowledging Him……God promises to direct our path…..

After many laughs and tears over the course of four days, I made my journey home today. Leaving warm sunny skies and the beach was bittersweet. Yes, I was leaving those I love and will most likely not see for a while, but I came home to my family, the people who also accept me just as I am. The good, the bad, and the ugly! I was ready to come be a mom and wife again. Of course the house was chaotic when I arrived home, but that’s my norm….my life…..and I love it!

Bridget, Nancy, Marguerite, Carolyn, and Peggy, I love you and my life is richer for knowing each and every one of you! Susan and Jillian….we missed you and love you too!

By His Grace, Debbie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Debbie: So Cal loses a sunbeam or two whenever you leave us. Your open heart,wise words and funny "it-could-only-happen-to-you" mom parenting stories brighten all our lives. I'm so honored to have you in my life even if it is long distance. Thanks for your belief in me and for your support.
Nancy

Emeline said...

Debbie I think that your blog is amazing you are so fun loving and joyful!!!!!:)