Sunday, November 13, 2011

"Unseen Reality"

Saying goodbye to a loved one begins a journey that no one can walk with you. Losing my dad 18 months ago has proven to be life changing. Heaven has become more of a reality for me, and my faith has grown to a deeper understanding of how much God loves me….

This weekend, a friend said goodbye to her 20 year old son. What do you do with that? There are no words. As I received the news last Friday, the overwhelming thought I had is how my friend’s life is now changed forever. When I saw her two days prior, her life was one way, and now it is completely different.

I’ve been called a “fuser”. Someone who cares and feels deeply for others. My heart ached and bled all week for my friend. I felt guilty for having a life when I knew hers was and is in shambles. I believe God doesn’t allow anything that we can’t handle, but how does one recover from losing a child?

I have facilitated a community Bible Study for many years now, and my friend attends. It was amazing for me to watch these ladies rally around our very broken, grief stricken friend and mother….

Brad was an exceptionally bright boy. I’m not just saying that because he is gone…he was brilliant! He had more accomplishments then most of us will have in a life time. As I attended the memorial service yesterday, I observed many who flocked up to the front to share what Brad meant to them. He was smart, funny, a leader, debater, loved his family….. And did I mention smart? A pastor concluded the service with a few thoughts on heaven. He addressed the many teenagers present in the room. He told everyone that Brad had an “Unseen Reality”. He shared the reason Brad was the great, confident, smart person everyone knew was because he had accepted Jesus as his Savior. He also assured everyone that this was not a haphazard decision by Brad, this was a well thought out decision that he concluded, there was really only one way to heaven. And because of this decision, Brad lived in a reality unknown to those who don’t believe.

Being a Christian for many years, I had never heard it explained this way before. It was simple and made so much sense. I pray God opened hearts of many yesterday especially to those who do not personally know Him and live in that “Unseen Reality”.

“For God so loved the world, that HE gave His only begotten son…whoever believes in Him, will not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
Many blessings,
Debbie

No comments: